A high drive dog is the team mate that is always willing to step to the lane. This is what everyone “thinks” they want … and largely it is. However, for a dog that lives to work, how to you deal with the inevitable “Genie out the bottle”?
More and more in dog sports, we see dogs that are bred specifically to do the task at hand, however understanding, training and competing with them can be fraught with problems. Over arousal and excitement can create problems on their own, and convincing a dog to not try “quite” so hard is a challenging task.
Join Kamal Fernandez, world renowned dog trainer and world championship level dog sports coach, for an insightful presentation on how to train, manage and prevent issues evolving with high drive dogs in competition.
This presentation will cover:
- What is a high drive dog and how to recognise characteristics they have.
- How to train and teach them to reduce and minimize frustration.
- How to create thinking while in a heightened state of arousal.
- When and if punishment is appropriate.
- When to use reinforcement to overcome challenges.
- Chaining for competition with high drive dogs.